- TYNNINGHAME, a village, in the parish of Whitekirk and Tynninghame, county of Haddington, 1 mile (N. E. by E.) from the village of Prestonkirk; containing 271 inhabitants. It is situated in the southern part of the parish, on the road from Whitekirk to Stenton, and about half a mile westward from the river Tyne, which shortly merges its waters in the Forth, at its mouth. The lands of Tynninghame formed a separate parish, which was united to Whitekirk in 1767: the church, now demolished, stood about a quarter of a mile below the village, on the north side of the Tyne, in a beautiful field having a gentle slope to the water's edge, and had in early times the privilege of sanctuary. The lordship of Tynninghame belongs to the Earl of Haddington, whose fine seat, surrounded with plantations commenced by his ancestor, the fifth earl, is in the Elizabethan style. The population of the village is almost exclusively agricultural. One of the parochial schools is situated here.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Whitekirk and Tynninghame — WHITEKIRK and TYNNINGHAME, a parish, in the county of Haddington; containing 1170 inhabitants, of whom 84 are in the village, 3 miles (N.) from Prestonkirk. This place, which comprises the ancient parishes of Tynninghame, Aldhame, and Hamer,… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Dunbar — DUNBAR, a burgh, market town, and parish, in the county of Haddington; containing, with the villages of East and West Barns, 4471 inhabitants, of whom 3013 are in the burgh, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Haddington, and 28 (E. by N.) from Edinburgh … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Athelstaneford — ATHELSTANEFORD, a parish, in the county of Haddington, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Haddington, and 9 (W.) from Dunbar; containing 991 inhabitants, of whom 274 are in the village. This place, which is noticed by Camden, is said to have derived… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland